Government Funded Intellectual Property Audit
UK companies can receive up to £3,000 funding towards a full ‘IP Audit’ as part of Vince Cable’s Growth Accelerator initiative.
Audits provide advice and support towards gaining and maximising the value of IP and help the business develop an IP strategy to take the projects to market. Typically the work involves, a visit or meeting, and a tailored report setting out clear recommendations and actions setting out how best to extract value from existing IP and how to manage IP within the Business .
Audits it will typically include:
- Patents – identify pending applications, granted patents, potential patentable technology, potential patent infringements.
- Trade Marks – identify registered and unregistered trademarks, searching procedures prior to introduction of trademark, possible infringement of third party rights.
- Designs – identify registered and unregistered rights, possible protection through Design rights and Community Design rights, possible infringement of third party rights.
- Copyright – identify copyright (databases, websites, marketing/promotional material, photography, film), ownership/assignment of copyright from creators, procedure for establishing date of creation, copyright indicators on protectable works, database rights.
- IP Management – to include confidentiality (or non-disclosure) agreements, trade secrets, technical know-how, employee agreements and dissemination of IP policy throughout the company, licensing, evaluating existing IP, IP policy including registration, renewal systems, monitoring/watching services and enforcement and international filing strategies.
To qualify for a funded audit, companies must join the Growth Accelerator Plan (modest fees are payable), have a maximum turnover of £40m and have less than 250 employees. They must also have the determination and a demonstrable ability to grow their businesses. Membership brings with it a wealth of other training, networking and mentoring opportunities. Hallmark would be more than happy to support you on this journey and can provide a full range of IP related services on a both government and privately funded basis.